<E30> eta or i?

How can a super eta engine be differentiated from an "i"
engine (from the outside)? I think my 325i is really a
325e.   :-(

The previous owner (not an enthusiast, and not likely to
care which engine the car had) told me that the engine had
been replaced with a used engine (the original engine had
apparently suffered a broken head bolt). I assumed that the
engine was in fact a 2.5l "i" engine because the flange on
the head gasket that protrudes from the front right side is
stamped "2.5". The Bentley manual indicates, surprisingly
(not), that the 325, 325e, and 325es engines have "2.7" and
the 325i and 325is models have "2.5", and, additionally,
that replacement gaskets supplied no longer have the code
number (it's not as likely to be a replacement gasket).

Recently, when cleaning the engine, I found the VIN sticker
on the block. The car indicated by the VIN is an '88 528e,
therefore, I have to assume that it's actually a super eta
motor.

Anybody have any ideas?

Bob Moore
'91 318is