Suggestions wanted

Alright guys, i have a question for you all, and i probably know what the
answer will be, but maybe you can talk me into something else.  I have an
'84 318i w/ 167, almost 168,000 miles, and it's time to do work.  It needs
new belts, shocks, brakes, tighten the ball joins, and anything else that's
loose up there.  Although the brakes have a lifetime warranty, i'd like
something better than midas brakes that have to be cleaned every 6,000
miles and replaced every 12,000 miles.  Also several other quirks, like no
heat, rear defrost works when it wants to, and rewiring of the stereo will
be needed, get the gas guage working 100% of the time, and accurately, and
most important, get the tach working.  Now i'd be willing to fix all that,
but my concern is the engine, and trans.  What is the average life span of
both of those.  Car lived on top of a tall hill for 13 years (top of the
world in laguna beach for you guys who know it) which it went up and down
several times a day, and i know that did a job on the engine on tranny.
Few weeks back, the tranny was making this loud, almost like a rubbing
noise belt, then went away about 2 days later (with mechanic in the car of
course) and has not come back, and it's shifting smoother, but is the end
near?  Also with the engine, burning very little oil, 1qt every other
month, but in acceleration it clicks and clacks, and it could be a loose
vaccum connection, but i suspect it's more.  How much do you think is left
there?  Also, what's the deal with the timing chain?  I've had the car for
about 7 months, probably put $500-$600 work into it (air flow meter, cold
start relay, &tc, &tc).  It's in great shape, no accidents, and only one
little ding.  The paint is okay, kinda scratched up, but nothing noticable
from a few feet away.  I'm only 18, short on cash, so should i fix what i
have, hope it goes a while, or fix the major things, and save for a 325
(late 80's).  Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks
- -Jake Abramson
BMW@domain.elided