Re: 87 325 questions

>Had a couple questions to ask.
>
>1) which 325 series car had the "Super ETA" engine in it? was it the 87 325
>or the 88 325E?

The '87 has the standard 2.7L ETA engine, I belive in '88 they introduced
the super Eta. BTW the Super only accounts for 7 extra Horse power.

Don't know about question 2, thats why I have a good mechanic.

>3) Are there any negative side effects of "lugging" an eta engine?  The car
>seems to cruise just fine at 40MPH in fith gear at 1000 RPM or so.  It even
>accelerates into it's powerband rather smoothly.  What is the recommended
>low RPM range for running the car?  If I have the JC chip in the car that
>raises the RPM limit,  can I drive the car above the traditional red-line if
>I haven't changed any cams, lifters etc?

When I had my broken left leg, I shifted as little as possible, 1000RPM is
by no means lugging. I would say 500 - 600 RPM would be considered HEAVY
lugging and should be avoided (although I did do it). The subject of
lugging was discussed a while ago on the digest and was never really
resolved. Some say it is bad some say it's not. IMHO if there were any BMW
engine that could be safely lugged it would be the ETA.

I normally shift at about 35 -4000 RPM and keep the engine running at 2000
- - 2500 RPM, When its cold I always shift at 2500 RPM until it's warmed up.

The ETA engine is not manufactured to take excessively high RPM loads. The
JC chip is great for quick bursts and you should be able to take it a
little higher but I would not recommend taking it to the limiter on every
gear after every stop light. The light springs might not take it. Remember
this car is now 12 years old, possibly 13 if you go by the manufacture
date. Cool your car is a teenager!

Dave Larocque

'87 325