Re: New muffler - what I forgot

>I forgot to mention that I feel a little guilty about finding out what was
>wrong from Midas doing the estimate. But OTOH, they did give me a free,
>non-binding estimate, so I wasn't bound.
>Sometimes I might need a professional diagnosis, while I can do the repair
>myself. In such cases I wouldn't mind paying someone just to find out
>what's wrong.

I did the same thing last week, but I just might go back. It seems that the
previous owner of my car had the whole exhaust system welded together. I
have a small hole in the exhaust pipe near a hanger and they can't salvage
the still good muffler (does this sound right). I was quoted $430 for the
job, BMW service does the muffler for $429 but I am not sure if that
includes the pipe or just the muffler and I am not sure they would like the
welded stuff. How much should I expect in the way of labor charges & the
cost of the pipe. I have to think that the actual muffler is the major
expense in this repair job.

As for the Free estimate, It's a tool to get people in the door. Many of
the "free estimates" later end up spending big bucks.

Dave Larocque
'87 325

All prices are in CDN$'s