Re: bmw-digest V9 #898

Neil Deshpande  wrote:

>"The Design of Everyday Things" by Norman, I think, features the E30 BMW =
>dash.

Yes, that's Donald Norman, formerly the human interface guru at Apple
Computer and currently at Hewlett-Packard. This is an excellent and
entertaining book for anyone interested in human interface designs of all
kinds. Once you read it you'll notice all sorts of everyday objects that
have completely idiotic interfaces (e.g. door handles that scream "pull
me!" in every conceivable way, but actually must be pushed).

ObBMW: My wife is greatly enjoying her new '89 535i. I need to fix
something, though: the gear selector knob (automatic) comes off if
lifted. It seems to be missing some kind of retaining device. When it
comes off the only pieces are the handle and the white interlock
cylinder. Does anyone know what piece I might need and where to get it?
Would this Bentley manual that I keep hearing about describe the system
and have a part number?

Thanks!

Steve Poole / Seattle, WA / <http://www.nwlink.com/~stevep>