Re: <E28> How to remove tweeters from door pods

At 04:33 PM 3/4/99 -0700, Erick wrote:
>Well I splurged and bought nice new 1" tweeters for the front door pods
>in my '88 535i. Problem is, I haven't been able to remove the originals
>from the pods! They seem to be epoxied in there and the exacto knife I
>thought I would use to get the glue out isn't making a dent. Unless
>someone on the list has a better idea I am reduced to 2 alternatives:

Erick,

I ended up taking the whole panel off (the tweeter panel).  One side popped
out, the other broke one of the "clips" that hold it on.  Repair on that
later.

With the panel out I was able to work from the inside and remove the
tweeter.  I slowly cut it out using an exacto knife.  Took about 5 minutes
for each tweeter.  My new tweeters were a little bigger than stock so I
used my Dremel tool (my favorite tool) to clean up some of the remaining
mess and give me a better fit.  I then used some silicone sealant to affix
the tweeters to their new home.  I guess I could have used a regular epoxy
but I wanted a little more dampening.  Who know's if I got any, but it gave
me piece of mind (and no, this is not inviting comments on the merits of my
methodology vs. any other ;^)).

To reattach the panels I also used the silicone sealant.  Firmed up within
a few minutes and I haven't had any problems in 3 years.  Those suckers are
still attached as firm as the day they left the factory.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii