Futile attempt to increase torque.

I bought a end 97 328i coupe with a 5 speed autobox thinking that it would give
me the same driving experience as the 95 328i sedan 4 speed autobox that I have
traded in for.  Unfortunately I found that the 5 speed autobox is far less
torque  compared to the 4 speed autobox.  The 5 speed autobox is made by ZF
whilst the 4 speed autobox is made by GM.   Since I am stuck with the car, I
then changed the final drive from 3.09:1 to 3:15:1 (3.45:1 would have reduced
the top speed by far too much) and converted changed the US M3 pictons to
increase the displacement to about 2930cc hoping to improve the troque but the
results were rather insignificant.  Can anyone offer me any advise on squeezing
more torque out of the engine without putting in a supercharger?

Thanks and best regards.

See Meng