<E30>Suspension upgrade - a few questions on doing this job

I am going to replace several suspension components on my 87 325is this
Thursday.  Here are the components I am going to install:

New control arms and bushings
Bilstein Sport struts and shocks
Eibach Pro Kit springs

I have a couple of questions:

1.  The Bentley manual suggests loosening the exhaust and differential
in order to get the rear trailing arms down far enough to remove the
rear springs.  The Haynes manual suggests simply using a spring
compressor to remove the rear springs.  This sounds much quicker.  Has
anyone ever done it this way?  If so, how did it work out for you?

2.  Are there any other (cheaper!) suspension components that I can
replace/upgrade to add to the cars handling performance? Sways bars are
too expensive right now since I spent quite a bit on shocks and springs.
Or, will I be happy enough with the upgrade I am doing?  My intent is to
begin participating in driving schools this year and maybe even club
racing in the K stock category next year.

Thanks,

Mark Colasante
87 325is
90 325iC