E30 Hesitation

I have an '87  325   that seems to hesitate during higher RPM.  It isn't like
every couple of seconds, but every now and then- but it's not a come-one-day-
gone-the-next sort of thing; it's constant.   The tach doesn't seem to change,
but it just feels like a split second hesitation.  This seems to happen in
high (3-4-5) gear the most often.  I guess maybe it "stumbles"  The plugs are
brand new Bosch platinum +4, the fuel and air filter have less that 1,000
miles, I use 89 octane from BP or Chevron.  The distributor cap is OK, the
plug wires are new, and the exhaust has just been replaced cat-back.  Oh, and
the fuel seems to be running a little rich as the plugs were carbony /black
deposits.  One of the plugs (#4) even had very slight bridging.  That's all of
the info I can think of.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Cam Lansberry
87 325