[E36]Active Autowerke Exhaust

I got the chance to evaluate one of Active Autowerke E36 Exhaust and I
wanted to pass on some of my observations.  A little about me; I am a LTC in
the Army with special training in Program Management and Test and
Evaluation.  I have been trained to develop weapon systems based on cost,
schedule and performance.  I evaluate the performance of a system using
form, fit, function, and suitability for the task.  I tend to let these
habits spill over into my decisions about what I install on my 97 M3.
(Cost) Well, I compared your price with the competition and this piece right
in line as one of the more reasonable at $649 ($585 with BMWCCA Discount).
(Schedule) The exhaust arrived just as the sales technician stated and in
great condition, however I believe the box could use a sturdier cardboard
stock. I will say that upon seeing the ACTIVE AUTOWERKES E36 exhaust on your
webpage (http://www.activeautowerke.com) I was intrigued.  (Visual appeal) I
was immediately smitten with its sleek, low profile, unique shape and
extremely clean welds when I saw it in the flesh, or should I say STAINLESS
STEEL!  I have seen ballistic welders (tank welders) undergo training and
only 5 out of 100 trainees can make the grade.  Well, your welders would
certainly pass the test.  I must say that this exhaust is the most visually
pleasing piece that I have seen.  I have owned two Super Sprint Exhausts and
one B&B and they can't touch what your artisans have done.  (Performance,
form, fit and function) Installation was a snap and the instructions
provided were easy to follow.  I must admit that the install was part of a
rather elaborate "Underground Upgrade Club" Modification Program conducted
while the wife was out of town.  Myself, Duane Collie and "crew" were
crawling all over my car to install new four new Bilsteins Sport Monotubes,
29910-2 H&R's, and R/D Sway Bars (27mm / 22mm).  The crown jewel was
changing the exhaust to make the install of the rear sway bar easier.
(Suitability) I started the car up and was treated to the most beautiful
sound.  It was as if some were pouring Napoleon Brandy on a timpani drum
expertly tuned to its lowest note.  When I tapped the accelerator, my ears
perked up.  I have been running the stock exhaust for the last two years and
the change was indeed welcome.  Now for the real test, a spirited drive.
Duane and I jumped in the car and immediately hit the back roads near his
home.  As I went through the gears, the exhaust note was as if I were
listening to the M Power Sounds recording that I play on my recorder when
driving to events to get "mentally" prepared, heh, heh (big smile).  When we
drove under bridges the echo would transport me to the main straight of
Silverstone and I am testing BMW's newest dream machine, yeah right.  But,
the car does sound good.  The butt dyno was engaged and does seem to feel a
little more grunt when I was enjoying the ride, but I understand Jim C. is
doing some real dyno testing and possibly tweaking his chip.  Initial
reports are that the ACTIVE AUTOWEREKES exhaust DOES MAKE POWER; without any
changes to the computer!!  Jim C. will have to verify that, I don't have the
equipment.  Still, with this new exhaust the car has been transformed.  I
believe the note will be enhanced as the pipe breaks-in over the next couple
of weeks.  The car will be tracked at least 10-12 times this season, I'll be
running in all the autocrosses and I'll be at O'Fest.  I can say that I am
not the only one impressed with your product, as we had a tech session in
which the car got plenty of attention and a good bit of positive feedback
from the 30 or so National Capital Chapter members that got a chance to see
the exhaust while the car was on the lift.

Mike Gayle
BMW CCA 40043
NCC Membership Chairman