533I emissions problems

I recently bought a 1983 533 but when I had it emission tested locally it
failed the NO test. It passed all other parts of the emissions and safety
inspections.

The BMW mechanic at a local shop said he couldn't test for that type of gas
because the equipment was so expensive and the test was only just introduced
to Virginia, but the O2 sensor definitely needed replaced and was probably
the root cause.  He set the engine up to ignore the output from the sensor
(not having one there at the time) and advised I retest.  ($130)
It failed, the other gases are all great but the NO output is still double
the limit.  So now he says replace the sensor (because it could be causing
the engine to run lean) and try some emissions additive to the fuel which
might solve the problem.  That's going to be about $100 and I can't help but
think the real problem is probably the CAT, since the DEQ don't list a
faulty O2 sensor against possible causes of failure for NO !

So, do I go the $100 only to find the problem is still there, or try and get
a new CAT ($500 plus installation) ?  Money is tight, I only just got the
thing and paid more that I really had anyway.

Any help or advice on where to get a second had CAT or what to do would be a
big help.

Damian Horner.
damian.horner@domain.elided <mailto:damian.horner@domain.elided>
hornerd@domain.elided <mailto:hornerd@domain.elided>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  E-mail may contain confidential information that is legally privileged.  Do not read this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail, by forwarding this to postmaster@domain.elided or by telephone at (800) 477-0770, extension 4860 and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner.  Thank you.