i cam/eta

KC sponded to my post...

>>>Vince wrote that he has a 6000 rpm redline with the 'i cam in the 'e
motor.  Note that the 'e valve springs are fairly soft (for
efficiency).  If you start running 'em at higher rpms, you could
encounter some valve float (=bad!).  Upgrade to 'i springs if you go
with the 'i cam.

Also, the crank in the 'e is fairly weak...  If you go the 'i cam
route, the best idea is to get a crank from a 524td and throw it in
there -- it's forged and much more robust.<<<

I thought I noted in my original post that I upgraded to the i valve springs as
part of the upgrade.  If I did not, then great catch KC.  As for the crank...  a
few people said that the crank was a weak point, however a local guy who has
done a great number of these i cam swaps, including helping on mine said he has
yet to have a cam fail.  If you plan to run the car at the red line all day, you
could have trouble.  But for daily use and a few drivers schools a year, it
should be fine.  I know of a few people that run at Watkins Glen with no
problems.

Besides, if you do end up trashing the motor, it would be the perfect time to
drop in an e36 m3 motor  :)

KC - no flames noted, great point on your part!

Vince

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.