i-head on eta block

Hello,
I'm in progress of doing an e to i upgrade on my 11:1 euro eta engine.
The eat pistons are domed, and according the information I collected the
i-head steals me 1 bar of compression due to different shaped combustion
chamber.
(37cc eta versus 42cc for the i) - which should result in 10:1.
But:
I remember the i-pistons have some cutouts for the valves.
Is it necessary to have them also on the 11:1 eta pistons?
Can anyone tell me some tricks how to determine in an easy way if
I have enought valve clearance to the pistons?.

Regards

Horst

see my car at: http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/chicane/541/
'80 323i project car