Re: E28 Question [Y2K Failure]

A recent poster expressed concern regarding Y2K failure of his 533i
computers.  When I purchased my 1984 533i, it was thirteen years old
with plenty of opportunities for concerns.  A little time spent with
Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management {ISBN 0-8376-0300-5] will give
proper perspective regarding the one critical computer in the car [and
other cars with Bosch computers.]  This critical computer, as described
by Charles O. Probst, deals with sensor inputs, stored performance data,
and activation of critical components such as fuel injectors.  Dates?
The engine management system, as described, is date insensitive.

There are two computers on the 533i that deal with time, but neither is
critical and therefore not worth a concern.  I haven't a clue what will
happen and truly will just use a dose of common sense to determine if
the date roll over has had any impact and what to do about it.  The
first is the clock computer.  If it misses a beat, I will reset the
time.  The second is the timer for the service indicator lights.  If
they come on early, I will reset them to off.

But all levity aside, I cannot say enough good things about the Probst
book.  I had the air flow horn sensor on my car dislodge while on the
road because I hadn't known its importance and therefore drove the car
mid rebuild with the air horn loosely in place.  I limped back home with
a foot trying to keep the car from stalling.  It provided a nice show
for the out of town guests in the back seat of my beauty.  Had I read
the Probst book before that event, I would have popped the hood and
continued on my trip or more likely avoided the whole situation.  Seeing
spooks in the dark, for me, is almost always a self inflicted wound.