E30 Steering Rack Rebuild

The long awaited (by my daughter) power steering rack rebuild is
complete.  It was a long process.  This all started when the PS pump
worked itself loose from its mounts and vibrated to the point that the
hoses started leaking at the pump.  I tightened up the clamps and
refilled the reservoir with (ugh) power steering fluid.  Mistake number
1.  Always read the manual before putting fluids in your car.  I should
have used ATF.

Shortly after that, the PS rack started leaking fluid.  Some people have
told me the fluids are compatible.  Some have said that PS fluid will
attack the seals in the rack.  I only know that the rack wasn't leaking
until I put in the PS fluid.

I looked at racks from the dealer ($500 and up), rebuilt racks from
parts houses (300-450) and decided to rebuild my rack.  I read somewhere
that the parts you needed were a gasket set and mounting hardware set
and that the dealer would try to tell you he couldn't get them.  My
dealer was a lot of help, found the parts and ordered them.  Don't be
fooled by the name "mounting hardware".  It contains needed internal
rack parts.  First thing I did right - check the parts against the
exploded view of the rack in the factory shop manual.  My first kit was
missing an o-ring.  Bentley says you shouldn't rebuild your rack.  Don't
believe them.  It isn't hard and you only need one special tool.

The tool was the problem taking all the time.  It seems it had to be
machined out of pharmaceutical grade Unobtanium by an elf in the Black
Forest.  6 weeks!!!  But you have got to have it to take the rack apart
and torque it back together.  The right size socket with the extension
put in from the front side makes a great tool for knocking out or
setting seals.

Follow the procedure in the factory manual, except disconnect the tie
rods from the rack and leave them attached to the wheel hubs.  Count the
turns or mark them so you can put them back in the same place.  I
suggest disconnecting the steering linkage at the firewall.  I had a
terrible time getting it back on the steering gear.  As suggested in the
FAQ on the E30 home page, you have to bend the lower mounting tabs out
of the way to get the rack out.  The disassembly and reassembly process
in the factory manual is very clear and complete.  Clean everything well
and keep it clean during reassembly.

Hoses - the dealer wanted $40 each +/- for the low pressure hoses to and
from the reservoir.  Save yourself some money and get low pressure
hydraulic hose from a parts place at like $3/foot.  You have to use
hydraulic hose, ATF will go right through neoprene after about a week (
want to guess how I learned that?).

Total bill, not counting fluid, etc. you need either way - gasket set,
$87; tool, $35; mounting hardware, $11 - $143.

Summary - when your PS rack goes, don't be afraid to rebuild it
yourself.

Al Waschka
85 325E
BMW CCA 104964