RE: Oil pan gasket questions

1. This can be true in other gaskets. For instance, if you replaced the
head gaskets, thus forming a better seal, the pressure will find another
weak spot, like the intake manifold. An oil pan, though, has no pressure
in it. The oil just falls from the bearings above (not quite true; its
flung all over the place, hence the leaking). There may be some small
amount of pressure, but nothing to compare with the full oil pressure of
the rest of the engine (40psi+).

2. No need for a sealant, but clean both surfaces really, really good. A
wire wheel on a drill motor is fine. Be sure to cover the bearings when
you do this (plastic and duct tape) and clean out the pan with kerosene
or something similar to be sure you get all the metal bits.

Now, have you crawled under the vehicle and examined the clearance under
the pan to the crossmember? I just dropped the pan on my truck, but
trucks have looooots of room. I wouldln't be suprised if the engine has
to be lifted to squirrel the oil pan out from under your vehicle. If
there is enough room above the tranny to the tranny hump, you could undo
the engine mount bolts and jack it up carefully with a hydraulic lift,
keeping an eye on the space above the tranny and the tranny linkages.
Most everything else connected to the engine is a hose or wire and will
flex. Try to position the lift on the block itself rather than another
component, like the flywheel or harmonic balancer. I've had to do this
on a Camaro.