1984 533i upfront mystery Noise update "What I learned"

   It is / was the power steering pump!  Thanks to the digest member that
sent me the suggestion of using a dial or long screw driver to pinpoint the
noise.  It worked very well.  I actually used a hollow aluminium tube capped
at both ends (a pole used to extend one's reach while painting) and the
sound transmission was great.  It worked almost as good as my stethoscope.
I actually thought about using my stethoscope but unfortunately or
fortunately it is too short for auto applications, and the fact that there
are moving parts around such as fans and belts; the pole was a better choice
of a diagnostic tool.
     Yesterday, I went by a local shop and one of the mechanics/owner
suggested that I  change my power steering fluid filter and see if the
"noise" went away.  I purchased the filter for 16.00 and later in the
evening I drained the reservoir and removed the filter.  Much to my chagrin
the filter I purchased appeared to be different from the one I removed.
Taking the conservative safe approach, I put the old filter back in and
added the fluid etc.  This morning I went back to the shop and spoke to one
of the mechanics/owner.  I communicated to him the differences in the
filters and he was a bit puzzled as the one he gave me was the only one that
is called for my car. I even drew him a picture of what the filter looked
like in the car.
     The owner mechanic instructed me to pull my car into the back and he
would take a look at the filter.  I had no appointment and there are lots of
BMW's on the premises in need of repair, or simply put they were busy.
Nonetheless, he took the time out to examine my car.  I was impressed.
Excellent customer service!  It turns out that the filter, old one, had
become "rounded" due to the pressure exerted on it and the one that I
purchased was the correct item.  He popped in the new filter and added some
fluid and guess what?  The noise went away.  What I learned was that
sometimes the obvious is the answer.  We  or should I say I, often expect
the worst when it comes to potential repairs etc.  and over look the simple
and often inexpensive.  The fact that the shop mechanic/owner took the time
out to make the change for me also reminded me of the kind of service you
can get at smaller more customer oriented shops.  He could have very easily
sold me a power steering pump that I did not need.  My faith was renewed,
however I maintain my sense of caution whenever I have to spend money for
anything!
     I also have a question,  I think I need to replace my accumulator, the
Nitrogen Ball pressure accumulator.  With the motor off,  pumped the brakes
and the fluid level in the power steering reservoir rose but when the engine
was fired up the fluid level only dropped a couple of centimeters.  How far
should one expect the fluid level to drop when the motor is turned on?  I
thought the fluid would basically disappear from view in this situation.

Thanks again.

	Robert Smith III