I made a decision on the 2000 740i sport - buy/lease question!

Gosh you people are helpful!  Thanks for all the interesting responses on
my dilemma on whether to buy or lease the new 2000 740i sport.  I decided
to wait till they become used, and off someone elses lease in 2-3 years,
and then buy one after it's lost a HUGE percentage of it's value.  I
definitely decided the lease is a bad bet for me, because I lose my $27,000
1995 740i in the process (yeah, the trade will cover the up front money on
the lease and the 2 years of payments, but then I pay $900 a month for that
last 12 months on a 36 month lease and don't have ANYTHING to show for it
at the end of the 3rd year and have to start all over again with a huge
upfront cost and huge monthly expenses after I turn the car in).

I think my current 95 740i (near mint condition) with 74,000 miles is a
bargain - in that it's paid off, only averages $1500 a year in repairs, and
still looks like a current model, if you don't look too close!  Yeah, I
REALLY want those xenon lights, nav system, cool looking rear jewel style
lighting system, and the MUCH more supportive sport seats, but
unfortunately, I'd have to come $40,000 out of pocket to own it NOW!  I
just can't rationalize that right now.  So, I will delay gratification
(urghhh!) and just wait till they are cheaper.  I can't believe how much
these seven series cars depreciate in the first 3 years - 50% at least!
Mercedes hold their value SO much better... I'm glad our cars lose value so
fast, as it makes my decision so much easier.

Grateful for quickly depreciating BMW's ( OK, the real deal is I'm not
loaded and can't easily afford the new model!),
Steve Robinson
1995 740i Aspen Silver/Grey - will have to be just fine for a while!
1988 911 Carrera Venetian Blue/Blue