RE: Hydroplaning

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, at 23:08:51 -0400, WM wrote:

>Driving home on the Jersey Tpk in
>moderately heavy rain, felt slight loss of control once, and took it
easy
>for the rest of the trip.  I was being passed by many other cars, with
>inferior rubber and reputations.  What is the deal with hydroplaning
and
>safety in the rain?  In dry conditions, I feel untouchable in the car.

The speed at which a tire hydroplanes is dependant upon several
conditions including:  vehicle speed, tire pressure, depth of water,
depth of tire tread, and a minimum length of water sufficiently deep.
The reputation of the tire and the car it's mounted on unfortunately
have no effect. Any tire will hydroplane given the proper circumstances.

Bob Kegel
'70 2002
'85 635 CSi
BMW CCA #135175