Re: fuel odor

Mike,

It sounds like the fuel lines may be deteriorating.  Check ALL of the fuel
lines under the hood.  Turn/twist them and look for signs of cracking.  If
you see any cracking lines, replace all of them.  Six feet of high pressure
fuel hose should be enough, although you should make an accurate estimate
and add a foot prior to purchasing the lines.

Don't go to Pep Boys and buy their standard fuel hose...it won't be correct
for the BMW.  You need a fuel hose that can handle high fuel pressures
(50PSI?).

The problem could also be as simple as a loose hose clamp.  Check and
tighten all hose clamps on your fuel lines.  Did you have the fuel system
serviced recently?  Perhaps the mechanic failed to fully tighten the clamps.

- -rb