Replacing thermostat in 94 325 w/ Haynes manual.. NOT!

Well I decided to try and replace the thermostat in my 94 325 this
weekend.  I am a beginner DIYer.  So, armed with my Haynes manual in
hand, I started the job.  After reading the entire process in the Haynes
manual, I got a pretty good overall picture of what needed to be done.
In order to gain access to the thermostat, the cooling fan and shroud
need to be removed, then once you get the thermostat housing off,
replace the thermostat and two gaskets, and you're done.  Sounded like
something that I could do.  Easier said than done.  Right at the very
start I could see descrepancies in what they were trying to say in the
manual and what I actually needed to do on the car.  Pictures were
completely useless, descriptions were even worse.  I got as far as
draining the radiator and removing the clips to the cooling fan shroud
(but not removing it).  I then tried to remove the cooling fan by
loosening the 32mm bolt attaching it to the water pump, but the pump,
along with all the belts, started to rotate.  This is where I got nervous
(since the manual doesn't mention anything about it), and decided to
stop because I didn't want to damage anything.  So I have a few
questions to help me finish this job.

1.  In my car, the expansion tank has a hose that runs the length of the
    cooling fan shroud into the radiator.  Since the hose is integrated
    with the shroud, do I have to unclamp this hose in order to remove
    the shroud from the car?  The clamp looks to be permanent to me.
    It's not a typical hose clamp with a screw to tighten it.  It looks
    to be crimped or something.  If I remove it, will I have to buy a
    new one to reclamp the hose to the radiator?  (No mention of this in
    the Haynes manual).

2.  How do I properly remove the cooling fan?

3.  Where exactly is the coolant drain plug on the engine block (no
    picture in the manual)

4.  Is the Bentley manual more descriptive for the beginner DIYer like
    me?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jason