Re:95 325i: What kind of service do I need to get done

Manish,

First, we'll address your maintenance question.  If the "Oil Service"
indicator is on, it simply means the car needs an oil change.  This
computation is done by an onboard computer that analyzes things such as
mileage driven, number of starts, and other misc info.  If JUST the oil
service light is on, that's all you need.  An oil service at a typical BMW
dealer can range from $34.95 to $49.95.

If, however, the Inspection light is on, any dealer will try to sell you an
Inspection service.  This is literally exactly what it sounds like - an
inspection - the $500 they charge you goes towards "checking" various
components on the car, in addition to an oil service.  There really isn't
much service to the vehicle itself.  (Certainly not $500 worth).  The point
is it's a waste of money.  My advice would be to bring the car to a good
private BMW repair shop located in your area and have them service the car.

In my opinion, the $500 you spend at the dealer for them to "check" the car
can go towards actual service, such as a brake fluid change, a coolant flush,
and a rear diff fluid change.

Otherwise, just have the dealer do an oil change and they'll extinguish the
light using a special electronic tool which attaches to a plug on the motor.

On to the light problem in your HVAC system - it's simply two small bulbs
that are burnt out.  It's a simple fix - simple pull the rotary knobs (the
ones for Fan speed and Air distribution) and the two temp knobs off.  You'll
see two screws underneath the two larger knobs.  Unscrew these, and the face
plate should literally fall into your hands.  You'll then be able to pull the
white housing towards you, and replace the offending bulbs.  (these can be
purchased at any local auto parts store, but I'd suggest getting them from
BMW, as wattages can vary, etc).

Good luck!

- -Ted
'99 323i/4