RE: Jumpy Temp gauge...

"Demetre Koumanakos" <demetre@domain.elided> asks:

> I've been reading the problems someone had with his temp
> gauge on my E30, I had (and still have) the same problem,
> the temperature gauge climbs to 3/4 and later falls to
> about 1/2. [...] Conclusion: The gauge needs repairing,

Not necessarily (not to say highly unlikely).
Your temp gauge ground is flaky (thus the erratic gauge readings). The
ground is the nut that holds the gauge to the instrument cluster. Search
this digest archives http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/search.html for a ton of
postings and how-to instructions on the subject.

> I also need to change the SI batteries (I was told that
> the batteries also afect the temp gauge)

SI batteries do _not_ effect the temp gauge.
You may or may not need to replace them regardless.

> By the way, what kind of batteries are best to be used for
> the SI board? Alkaline or Lithium ?

The best results will be achieved with the batteries appropriate for _your_
SI board.
Alkaline (AA size) and Lithium (1/2 AA size) batteries are _not_
interchangeable.
Original SI boards came with Alkaline batteries. The replacement boards from
the dealer (who will try to sell you a new $130? board instead of the
batteries) have newer Lithium batteries that last longer.

alex f