value of extended warranty?

I have a 96 328i sport which will be under warranty until mid April. What do
you think about buying an extended warranty? I can get a bumper to bumper, 7
year, 100,000 mile, zero deductible policy for about $1800 through Warranty
Direct or $1900 through Warranty Gold.

I realize these warranties are designed to make the warranty companies
money. If it were 6 or 7 hundred bucks like the ones for my wife's 99 Camry,
it might be a good deal but at almost 2 grand I am not so sure. So should I
do it or would I be better off putting aside say a thousand bucks in savings
for repairs.

Thanks,

Dennis
96 328i sport