1997 E36 tail lamp troubles

Sam-
I had a similar problem, however my contacts were deformed and oxidized.
Electrical short at the contact caused the oxidation which made the problem
worse.

What worked for me was cleaning the oxidation off the contacts of the light
bulb _holder_ (the removable black plastic doo-dad) and the rear assembly. I
used a small file. Be careful if you use an aggresive cleansing agent -it
may melt the plastic. The oxidation was slight greenish in color.

I also tweaked the contact tabs with a pair of pliers. So far, after about
two months, no problems.

Tom Eby
96 M3
74 02