stepper motors on a 95 740i - noise problem!

This will be the 3rd time I've had to fix or replace the stepper motors (the
ones that control the fans for heat and a/c) in the 2.5 years I've owned the
car (a 95 740i).  The problem is they make this clicking noise as they
change speeds and it drives me a bit batty.  The place I've taken it to
(Excluservice in Rockville Md) says that the way the motors are designed,
after a year or 2 of usage, they start wearing and eventually go back to
making these maddening clicking sounds.  They did a bit of research to see
if there was an update on this part, but haven't learned of any.  Anyone
else having this same problem?  Any solutions out there, short of replacing
the motors again, at a large cost (the whole dash has to be taken apart)?
Thanks in advance.  I'm not expecting much help on this one, but you never
know.
Steve Robinson
95 740i
95 540i hers (she almost traded this in on a white 99 Jaguar XJR last week
selling for $45k- ouch! - but the people at Excluservice said that Jaguars
are bad news in the repairs dept...... but 370hp - whewwwww)
88 911  my inner child's