Rim Sizes for Winter Tires

I know it's June, but I need to decide on some wheels now.  Has anyone run
snows on an M3 on a staggered 17" (17x7.5 and 17x 8.5) set?  I can get a
staggered set of  M3 wheels or I can put together, with my spare and a  extra
wheel I have, a set of 17x7.5 all around.  Any info as to which setup people
have used and their feedback would be appreciated. I have an opportunity to
get these wheels now which is why I have this off season question.  I have
ruled out using 16" wheels.

Thanks,

Steve

98 M3/4