RE: mysterious bearings

That does seem premature, but is it safe to consider the two incidents
unrelated?  Is it also safe to assume that the rear wheel bearing damaged
the hub, which would have prevented the second failure?

People can have 200,000 relatively trouble-free miles in a Taurus, like your
wife mentions, and people can have as many trouble-free miles in a VW, BMW,
Yugo (well, maybe that's pushing it), or any other car.  It all comes down
to your personal preference, along with what you can afford and what it's
worth to you.  Don't scrutinize that particular problem and compare that to
other cars.  A couple years ago we were in the market for an inexpensive
used car, and I looked through the Ford listings in the paper.  I was amazed
at how many late '80s Tauruses were advertised as having a rebuilt
transmission or having tranny problems.  Every make, and even every model,
has its own unique weaknesses.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco