Re: <02> Won't run unless starter is engaged

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 Arossmatta@domain.elided wrote:

> My '75 2002 won't keep running unless the starter is engaged. It
> dies as soon as I release the key. Wires had been ripped out of
> the coil and the spark plug wires had been yanked with enough
> force to break the distributer cap. I replaced the plug wires and
> cap and checked /repaired the other wires going to the coil. Any
> ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

 This is a classic broken ballast resistor problem.  The only thing
is, I have no idea if BMWs ever used them.  Old Chryslers did, I know
that for sure.
 Power to the ignition runs through the ballast resistor (a big wire
wound ceramic gdangus usually fastened to the firewall) while the
engine is running.  The resistor is bypassed during starting only, to
provide as much ignition voltage as possible while the starter is
pulling the battery voltage down.  If the resistor breaks, the engine
starts, but quits as soon as you release the starter.
 If some knowledgeable '02 person can confirm that this is how old
'02s do NOT work, well then, you have some info on how to fix an old
Chrysler with the same problem.

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro