RE: ZF automatic tranny

I have had only 3 BMW's with ZF's , they are like any auto (except some huge
Chrysler 727, GM 400's) that are never going to be as stout as a standard.
They work because they slip, the very nature of the beast creates wear and
heat. They should not be expected to outlast the car.

My current car is a 90 535ia, with over 250,000 miles (fingers crossed), I
have changed the fluid about every 15,000 miles and the filter about 4
times. It works good to this date. I do take care not to abuse it,
remembering this is not a big block Chevy trying to get 12 second et's.

Good luck and don't forget to compare the price of a good rebuild to that of
a few months car note on a new BMW. Now that's a reality check!!