RE: E30 A/C Conversion

"Henry Kim" <henry.kim@domain.elided> wrote:
> The A/C on my '89 325iX is blowing warm.  It was fine last year but I
> suspect the refrigerant has leaked out.  Since the system is R12, I plan
> to convert to R134a.  There's a great page on converting systems on
> e34s.  http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/AC_upgrade.htm

Henry,
You are on the right track. For more info check out Brett A's site:
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/ac.htm

> I suspect the answer is yes but are A/C systems similar on the e30 and
> are the procedures the same?

Yes and yes with one clarification: properly charged R134a system cools as
well as better than an R12 system.
If anyone tells you otherwise, bet a lot of money against them and I will
split the loot by offering my Dallas 210K mile '89 325i for comparison
against any R12 E30.
Hack, my R134a E30 cools better than either of my factory filled R134a
E36s!

> If so, I'll tackle this project next week.

Are you planning to DIY?
If so, having access to professional grade _working_ AC gauges is a must. I
had a hell of a time trouble shooting an AC leak with camatose rented
AutoZone gauges.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions,
alex f