Re: E36 Idle Problem

Steve:

I had a very similar experience with my old e28, and it
turned out to be the idle control valve.  In my case the
fault was caused by a broken wire at the electrical
connector at the rear of the ICV.   Another common cause
of failure is that the valve can get gummed up over
time - it's suggested that you clean it with WD40 every
so often to make sure the internal plunger can move like
iit should.  I suggest you check out what the Bentley
manual has to say on the subject - it's pretty easy to
check the operation of the ICV with an ohmeter.   Good
luck.  -Chip