RE: M3 question

> I am interested in a used M3. When did the latest bodyshape
> start coming out? 99 or 2000?

First model year for E46 M3s in the US was 2001.  So the first ones
arrived here in September 2000.  They were Smurf blue.  ;-)

> also, what is a fair market price for an early model?

Depends mostly on miles.  Prices listed in the Roundel have been
unrealistically  high.  You might find a 2000 M3 with 25,000+ miles for
high thirties, but you'll have to look.

> I understand that it comes in standard 6 speed as well as
> paddle shift.

SMG (Sequential M Gearbox) was not available here until November 2001
build dates in the 2002 model year.

> I am interested in the standard but am
> wondering how the paddle shift system works. Does it also
> have a floor shifter like a tiptronic +/- setup?

SMG has a small lever on the console that can be pushed forward to
downshift and pulled back to upshift.  It is necessary to use the lever
to select reverse and to change from "manual" to "automatic" mode.
Please note that all E46 M3s have the same transmission, but on the SMG
the clutch is actuated by computer-controlled hydraulics rather than the
driver's foot.

- --Jonathan
02 M3 SMG