Re: <E34> Radio Code - Central Locking and Power Windows

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 01:56 PM, Ron Buchalski wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:36:27 +1200
>> From: "Chris Northover" <chris.northover@domain.elided>
>> Subject: <E34> Radio Code - Central Locking and Power Windows
>>
>> Maybe this has happened to someone else?  My 1990 525i E34 has started
>> asking for the radio code every time I turn off the ignition, then
>> turn it
>> on again.  Also, the Central Locking and Power Windows give up at the
>> same
>> time.  The central locking and windows will return if I leave it
>> alone for a
>> few hours.  I'm not sure where to start on this one!

If it doesn't turn out to be battery related, it may be in the control
modules.

If you lift up the rear seat, you'll find a supplementary fuse, relay
and module box on the drivers side. There are probably two large
modules there - each about the size of a paperback book, perhaps one
black, one green. They pull straight up and out.

The heavier of the two contains a bunch of switching relays - which
control things like the sunroof, windows, power locks, etc. The other
is a general module - ie circuit board and components - which also
affect the accessories. When my previous E34 started to show voodoo, I
called the folks at Vines (www.vinesbmw.com) who sent me two
replacements for about $150. Result: all voodoo gone, situation normal.

In my case, they had gotten wet from the previous owner leaving the
rear window down during a storm.

Drew