Re: Block Heaters

Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 22:01:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Member3768@domain.elided
Subject: Block heaters
snip
Anyway, this year I'm planning on installing a block heater.  I was going
either go with the Kat's or Phillips Temro electric core plug heater (both
400 watts).  The Kat's application states that only one heater is required;
the Phillips says that two are required.  My local supply house is
"willing"
to make me a deal on a Phillips 5000 btu propane coolant heater, original
price $349.00; my price $121.00.  It plumbs into my coolant lines.

I have no experience whatsoever with propane block heaters.  Anyone out
there
have any comments or ideas?  I like the option of being totally remote (I
have a very isolated cabin w/o electricity) but it's not required.  Also,
why
do you think that out of two of the same type of electric heaters, one
states
that one is sufficient and the other says that two are needed?
Snip

Here are my humble impressions ( I live in Leadville, Colorado at 10,000
feet..ice on the car in July!)

Buy a bigger block heater if you are going to go electric!  My wife's
Escort/My Saturn with sub 2.0L engines use 600watt heaters, My Navistar 7.3
Powerstroke uses 1000w.

Don't go with propane!  Why bother?  Hazardous cargo!  There are diesel
powered versions available.  All are German Made.  I am researching for my
Powerstroke, so I don't know all of the little details.  There are two that
I know of: http://www.webasto.de/english/index.html is the home page of the
one that looks most interesting.  You can get a remote or timer model, AND
get this it will also run the heat (with help of your interior fan) into
your cab.  No Ice Scraping!  Warm and toasty when you get in!

I do not know the prices, I am calling around today.  It just seems like a
better option.

Will report to digest when I have more info.

Howard
chtucker@domain.elided (don't use reply to author)

64' Travelall
97' Powerstroke F-350 Crew Cab
93's Saturn/Escort
Got anything interesting you wanna sell? (Just don't tell my wife)