Did'ja ever...?

        I needed a headlight for my Scout, so I went to the closest parts
place, an affiliate with one of the chain parts stores.
        "I need a headlight for a truck that uses the two round headlight
system," I told the lady behind the computer.  I had forgotten that it was a
2D1 headlight but that probably would not have mattered.
        "What does it go on, " she asked.
        "Oh boy," I thought, "here we go."
        "It's on a '79 International Scout."
        She looked at her computer for a minute or so, then asked her
coworker "What does International come under?"
        So her coworker said "Here, you do this and I'll look it up in the
book."
        Look up a headlight in the book!!??!!?
        There was a time when I could go into this same building and tell
Charlie what I wanted and as often as not he would get it off the shelf
without having to look it up.  Did'ja ever have a parts man like that?  I
sure miss him.
        When I was young, I thought that I knew everything.  What I didn't
know, I could find out quickly.  Now that I've gotter older, I wonder why
none of the young people (present company excepted :-) ) working behind the
counters of the country seem to know anything at all.
        Did'ja ever wonder...

        Thanks for the bandwidth,
        I needed it this time.
        Cheers,