Re: Brake m/c

    Tom> Anyhow.. it now appears the master cylinder is leaking
    Tom> (interesting note: it was replaced the day before I bought
    Tom> the Scout).  It's not leaking where I would expect it to
    Tom> (output tubes, or the prop valve), but it appears to be
    Tom> leaking at the top.. between the tightly clamped "lid" and
    Tom> the main m/c unit.

My "new" rebuilt master cylinder leaks from this same location.
Sadly, the warranty had expired before I figured out where it was
coming from.  I bent the bail so that it clamped the lid on even
tighter, and that worked for a few weeks, but now it's back to leaking
again.  It's not a bad leak, just enough to get enough DOT3 on the
outside of the MC to be a real rusty mess.

    Tom> Without taking a close look at it tonight, I'm wondering what
    Tom> my courses of action are.. It's certainly leaking somewhere
    Tom> around the m/c.. the streering column U-joint is covered in
    Tom> DOT3 fluid..

I've assumed on mine that it's one of three problems:
	- the gasket is cheap crap.  I believe that new gaskets/bellows for
	  the inside of the cap can be bought from a parts store.  At
	  worst, a whole new cap.  But, I really don't think this is my
	  problem.  Needless to say, I'll probably start here due to the
	  price
	- There are some small blemishes in the top edge of the m/c, which
	  I think might be responsible, but they are only on the rear part
	  of the cylinder, and I lose fluid from both
	- Somehow, in the rebuilding process, the top edge of the m/c got
	  machined slightly unlevel so that the cap doesn't seat properly.
	  If this is the case (and I think it's mine), then I think the m/c
	  needs to be taken out and apart and down to a machine shop.
	  Trouble is, I don't even have any tools to determine if this
	  is really the problem.

--
Steve Grossman                                   	grossman@domain.elided