Rear axle bearings

Is it true that the Dana 44 rear axle shaft outter bearings are taper
bearings?  This goes against the most creative logic that I can come up
with.  The reason that I ask is that when I opened up my rear axle on one
side I had a taper bearing and on the other side I had a sealed bearing.
Logic told me that the taper bearing is the wrong bearing and that the
sealed bearing was correct.  The parts guy said the opposite.

Anybody have Part Numbers (Timken, Federal Mongul, etc.) for the bearing,
inner seal, outer seal, and the retaining ring?  IH part numbers don't help
much without a way to cross reference them.
Todd Thomas
Hopkinsville KY