Re: Michigan Scouts

>Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 20:02:21 -0500 (EST)
>From: "daniel.r.felix.1" <dfelix2@domain.elided>
>Subject: Sympathizing with part of Colorado trip
>
>Where were all of the IH's????  ....  I saw
>NO Scouts.  I don't know if I just wasn't looking hard enough, or if I was
>looking too hard, if thats possible.

Dan, I think you could have been looking too hard but I thought you should
have seen a few.  Perhaps they were all on the move.  I was in southern
Michigan for a week in December and saw a handful of Scout IIs.  I used to
know the locations of about 8 or so Scouts stored in the weeds.  Of course
life in Michigan was very tough on vehicles.  I bought a '79 SII that spent
its life near Lansing and there is so little left of the body it wouldn't be
safe to drive anymore.  The bottom 4" to 14" of the body is gone, the bed is
rusted through on both sides so you can see the wheels.  The upper bed rail
on the passenger side is missing about half [with a Travel Top on, you would
be able to reach in under the top].  The driver and passenger floors have
been replaced with sheet metal and several steel fence posts have been
welded in underneath to make up for the missing body mounts but everything
has sagged so much that what's left of the doors don't line up enough to get
closed without jacking up the body.  It is amazing how good the frame is
under such a rusted out body.  I had planned to find a good body for the
frame, but ended up keeping the whole 2nd SII.

Mike

jmdaugh@domain.elided