Re: Mobile communications for Binders

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998 bard@domain.elided wrote:

> Help me figure out what would be the best setup for keeping in touch
> with 'home base'. I have a '77 Scout II and 30' Airstream trailer which
> will be travelling to Alaska this year and I need to find out which form
> of mobile communications will work best. I have a cobra CB in the scout

How far of a range do you really want?  CBs will hit 10 miles, though
less is better.

I'm not sure what would work better for you.. 2m HAM is a good choice,
but you need repeaters once you go beyond line-of-sight.

Lower frequency HAM setups have some better power and range, but I'm not
sure how much.. and you'll need a license.

Mount an 104" whip on the trailer, right in the middle, and you'll have a
GREAT ground plane.. do the same on your Scout, and you should be set for
a pretty fair range.. 5 miles maybe?

-Tom