Subject: A/C in a Scout II re

I've taken a factory air system from one scoutII to another.  The hose
which failed was the bigger one coming from the condenser.  I replaced
the high pressure( smaller one) hose going to condenser also.  This one
failed because it rubbed on my aux. battery, I had not strained relieved
it to the top of the compressor.  In retrospect I wish I'd replaced the
hose's going to the evaporator. Inside the cab.  Getting the hoses was
easy, just took them to the local airconditoner distributor. A little
pricey but thats life.  I also, took apart the top of the compressor,
but the parts distributor said the only thing that usually fails is the
seal on the main driving shaft, behind the magnetic clutch.
I also, was able to buy some recycled R-12 for a good price.  I've still
not figured out the control function ( therom stat ) for the system.
Sometimes the compressor does not turn on and cool when I would like it
too.  Alwas something else to look at.