Re: Rebuilding

>* Never having rebuilt an engine before, what things should I look at or NOT
>worry about?  I don't want to re-build anything that doesn't need to be, but
>"if it'd be a good idea", then I might as well. What are the "might as well"
>items?!  I imagine freeze-plugs ;-)  -- what else?!  And in particular, what
>is likely to be the cause of the seizure (pardon me if these are all
>ignorant
>questions and become all too evident after teardown!).
>
>* I don't yet have a manual (from Binderbooks) for it - though I plan on
>buying one shortly.  Are they truly worth the $90+? Is it the most detailed
>documentation I can find for the truck (better than, say a Chilton's, I'd
>presume!)?
>
>* Anyone have any handy tips for ID-ing small parts, wires, etc.?  The
>hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, etc.) I put in ziplock bags and label where
>they came from.
>
>That'll do it for now... thanks for your war stories, hints & kinks and time!
>
>Happy Motoring!
>
>- --Pete
>

>Peter F. Ferris
>pferris@domain.elided
>
>"The box said Windows 95 or better,...So I bought a Mac."
Peter, I like that last line. Dirtball and I try not to feel superior
because of the machines we drive, no not our scouts, our computers, and
we're not snooty about other folks having the same advantages in life, so
good for you.

Now to rebuilding. In my early years, I worked for a rebuilder in San
Jose, CA and as a hobby, I've rebuilt dozens if not hundreds of engines
since, with a few of them being IH.
You're almost undoubtedly going to need to have your engine bored and in
my opinion, you should find a really good automotive machine shop and
have them go through your motor for you. There are so many things that
need to be checked, it would take me 15 minutes to list the ones I can
think of. If you feel a need to be more involved, have them do everything
but assemble it and bring the parts home and assemble it yourself,
although they aren't going to warranty the engine to the same extent, if
you do that.
As one example of why you may need a machine shop more than you would
expect , a Travelall of mine had a crank that was perfect except that
corrosion had eaten a groove where the timing gear cover seal ran on the
crank. It was bad enough that it wouldn't clean up and had to be built up
the way a rod journal is built up, and then ground down. Another Scout I
had run in salty desert puddles had a perfect crank and needed nothing
done to it. I could, but won't, go on and on about all the little
mistakes you could make that would require you pulling the engine back
out.
Now to the bottom line, most automotive machine shops guarantee their
work and even if you install their rebuilt, if it is defective, they will
pull it, fix it, and replace it. At least around this part of California
that is common warranty backup by the good machine shops. Parts to fit IH
engines are expensive, the engines are heavy and awkward, and it isn't
pleasant to think about pulling out an engine you just got in. Then too,
there are a million things you can do externally to get your Scout
running like you want it to, without worrying about your feelings of
ownership in an engine that is rebuilt by experts.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"