Doug's problems!

Hi Doug,
Let me see if I can help you a little bit on your questions!
<My questions are:

- - Will the compression test tell me if the head gasket is blown?
This is a yes and no type question.....Yes it will tell you if you have a
blown head gasket into cylinder areas....No it won't tell you if you have a
blown gasket just in the water jacket area to the out side of the head .  You
said: "When I opened the hood there was alot of steam coming from the drivers
side of the engine, and judging from the way the truck was running, I
decided that I had blown the head gasket on that side." (Just outa
curiosity...Did you add cold water to a non running overheated engine?)  You
can do a pressure test on the radiator to see if it's leaking from a crack in
the head or a gasket that has blown to the side!
<Do I have a starter problem?
Probably not...but it does sound like you have a wiring problem now......My
old ''76 had the heavy wire (10 or 12 ga.) in the middle of the harness to
short out and 'smoked' the rest of the wiring in the harness.
<Do I have a much more serious problem, like maybe a bad crankshaft
bearing, which caused the heating problem, and is causing the starter
problems?
I don't think you have a bad crankshaft bearing (or didn't in the begining ,
you may now)....but the rings have siezed to the cylinder wall......that
happens sometimes when an engine overheats! and that is possibly why the
starter is having a hard time turning the engine over! That being the case
you'll either need an overhaul or a replacement! (ouch!!)
<Is there a way to check the main bearings without taking the engine
apart?
No...not really...but I have pulled oilpans while the engine was still in the
vehicle and taken a looksee......I/we (my partner and I) still think you're in
for an overhaul!!

Tim Smith

'75 150 p/u     Daily driver
'72  1110 p/u ( giving it's life to keep the 150 going)
'69  1010 p/u  nothing more than a rust bucket!
'76   Traveler  Gone and I sure do miss her!

( Chris & Ranae....about the  EX.....Yep, you're right , and to make it
worse....her Daddy was an IH dealer and he gave it to me!!)