Re:Deep cycle batterie

Harvesters, (Thank you whoever first started using that greeting)
There was a post the other day that I never got around to responding to
that said this person was considering using a deep cycle battery as his
car battery.

Won't work. Drawing that many amps off a deep cycle would destroy it and
it couldn't start most cars anyway. Because they are not deep cycle
batteries, a Marine-RV or Marine-deep cycle might very well work fine,
because neither of these kinds of batteries are true deep cycle. They are
made to start a boat engine which could be the same as starting your
Scout. They are given the RV or deep cycle part of their name because
they are supposed to be able to withstand more total discharges when used
to run lights or whatever. It really is false advertising to stick deep
cycle on to the name of a battery that puts out 500 CCA or so, and it has
coused a lot of confusion about what deep cycle really means. I have a
Johnson made Marine RV battery in my trailer at this time and it is doing
very well in that application. Besides it was a huge battery with lots of
reserve power (would put out limited amps for a long time) and only cost
me $45 bucks, and because of a special friendship, has an
anytime-time-you-need-it-free-replacement warranty. This is my only
experience with this type of battery and I know nothing else about them.

Bottom line (both literally and figuratively) You can't start a car with
a true deep-cycle battery! At least not very many times. You can't run
your trailer lights until the battery dies and then recharge the battery,
if you don't have a deep cycle battery. At least not very many times.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"