Re:Crimps vs. solder

>>The inside of missiles never have crimp connectors or pins.
>>Always soldered inside.
>>
>>     -Joel Brodsky, Electrical Engineer
>>      Raytheon Missile Systems Company
>
>Now that settles it!
>
>If it's good enough for a missile... it's good enough for my Scout!
>
>Regards,
>
>John

I don't know the answer but,
It made me a little nervous when I installed my MSD using the crimp
terminals they provided. I think it might have been a bit more resistant
to corrosion and stuff. But I took the easy way out.
In Moab, my friend took his Jeep to Moab's best known after-market
installation place because the fuel injection - ignition on his AMC
in-line six was not working. The flashing signal kept sending the code
that the computer had shut itself down. The guys there grabbed their
soldering guns and redid every connection on that dual unit. That didn't
happen to be the problem, but they found the problem while they were
redoing the crimps.
The problem was that the Ford type solenoid, where the unit picked up
it's operating current had a grounded circuit in the ignition circuit on
the top of the solenoid. It sucked so much current into its "lets make
some heat" operation that the computer had just shut itself down.
The point of all this: Those guys are so used to problems with bad
connectors, that that is where they look first. I wish I had soldered my
connections.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Founder of DARK  "DRIVERS AGAINST RIDICULOUS KRAP"
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"