T'all fuel tank repaired!

Binders,

     Good news for my T'all.  I got the drill and wire wheeled
the offending area, and whilst doing that noticed about 3 more
small holes appear in the same area as the larger hole.  I got
the Oxy-Acetylene all set up, set the gas tank in a wheel barrow,
put stems of fuel line with plugs in them on all the outlets,
replaced the sender and O-ring, and filled the tank with water
(7:30PM).  First pass with the torch, and opened then filled the
rusty spots, let cool, and tilt (8:05PM).  A small dribble of
water out of a tiny crevice.  Second pass with the torch, I used
about another full rod of .070 steel, and covered the area
liberally.  Now it's a large steel patch about 1" by 2.5", let
cool, tilt, no leak (8:35PM).  Drain water, remove pipes and
sender, and get the shop vac.  Vac out as much water as I can,
then put the vac hose to blow and set it in the tank to air it
out (8:55PM).   (9:25PM) look in the tank, it's dry.  Shake the
entire tank, and vac out, several steps, all the little rusty
chips pieces, and original solder from the factory, fill with
about 20 oz. of fuel, slosh, and check for leaks.  Gas will leak
where water won't.  No leaks.  Replace sender, fuel lines with
plugs, and pressurize to about 15 psi.  No leak.  Let off
pressure, replace plugs, set outside (9:45), and it's ready to go
back in tonight.

     The install should be uneventful, 30 min, as was the removal
originally.  New vapor lines, and cleaned out the sender.

JohnL, I read about 10 ohm full and 70 empty.  Sound ok?  I guess
the problem IS with the 5v supply on the guage.  There was a
whole heap of rusty stuff in the sender, cleaned that all out,
and it doesn't flutter the ohmmeter anymore.  Hope it works.

     I also got lucky with the seal for the sender.  My local ACE
hardware had neoprene o-rings in the EXACT size for the bargain
price of $0.58.  No way Dodge could have sold those that cheap,
huh?

     So when all is said and done, it was about 3 hours, and no
explosions.  I eneded up using steel instead of braze thinking
that: If I'm planning on getting it hot enough to braze, a little
hotter for steel will make a better bond.  Thanks to everyone
with their help with the questions.  Hope to see everyone in
Tulare, with renewed confidence in the T'all.  I'll be ringing
the truck out on a trip to Flagstaff this Thursday, so we'll see
if everything works on that tank.

     Thanks again,

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.