Transfer case light

Joel:
  I don't remember if you are talking about your Travelall or Scout,
but the Travelall should be like the pickup with the NP205.  My
truck did not have the light (was not 4x originally) and my transfer
case donor chassis did not have it either.  It seems this was an
option for a 72.  I consists of a metal bracket that holds the same
backup light switch used on the 5 speed trannies that engages
the crossbar that links the two shift rods in the transfer case.
A pair of wires are run to the switch, and I believe one is
grounded at the firewall, probably with the same screw that
grounds the fuel sender.  The other wire passes through
one of the firewall connectors and then goes to the speedo
electrical connector.  The other side of the light in the speedo
is connected to either +12, or instrument light voltage (not sure
which) via the PC board on the back of the speedo.  So, the
answer is, the switch grounds the wire coming from the light,
but does not do it through the T-case (perhaps due to the rubber
mounts).

Perhaps the wire has rubbed on the frame and is therefore
grounding periodically, making your light flicker.

Hope this helps, I have yet to connect my wires to the
speedo, but I did build my own bracket and have the switch
installed with wires at the firewall.

Allan Weidenheimer
721210 Pickup