Re: Has any one tried this?

Nick Cuskey wrote:
I was fliping through 4x4 magazine, and stumbled across this jacobs
electronics ad.  They had the ultra pak for the scout, which consisted
of sparkplug wires, power coil, a computer to sense
altitude/weather/load conditiions and adjusts your spark accordingly.
They say you will get atleast a 11-12 HP gain off of stock (345, 220 HP)
and a 2-2.5MPG increase.  Also an increase of 10% in low to midrange
torque.  $479 is what they quoted me.  I'ld like to try it, but I
figured I should check with the experts first!<

Nick,
  I bought the Jacob's OmniPak which is a computer and coil combination.
Summit Racing (1-800-230-3030) sells it for around $200.   I recommend
Summit instead of buying direct from Jacob's.  Summit has better prices and
a "no questions asked" 90 day return policy.  If you buy and don't notice
any improvement, return it for full refund less shipping !  I don't think
Jacob's return policy is so liberal.  Note: Summit can get any Jacob's
product even if it's not listed in the catalog.

  Unfortunately, I bought my OmniPak direct and was convinced by the
salesman (Jacob's sales people are high pressure) to buy their spark plug
wires.  Supposedly these wires are custom fitted to the IH engine.  It
turned out they don't have a custom fit set for IH and they sent an extra
long generic V8 set.  What a mess !   All the wires are all at least 6-8
inches too long !   Summit sells a number of brands of high quality
"universal" wire sets that allow you to fit to the correct length for your
engine.  You need new wires with the higher output of the Jacob's ignition.

  As to performance gains, You will notice a power increase.  Much easier
cold weather starting was one thing that was readily apparent.   I assume
my mileage has increased. Because of the way I use my Scout, mileage is
kind of hard to monitor.   If you have a points distributor, your points
will last forever.  Spark plug life will increase too.  My OmniPak was
first installed on an oil burning, plug fouling engine.  The OmniPak kept
the plugs clean.

  So anyway, in conclusion, I'm satisfied with my Jacob's.  Other than the
plug wires, I'd buy the same thing again, but from Summit not Jacob's.
BTW, an MSD system might be just as good as Jacob's.   I think Jacob's
technology may be a little more sophisticated than the capacitive discharge
system that MSD uses.

Doug, checking in with my $.02 worth.