RFe: Engine Woes

Grant wrote:
>To my horror, I discovered that I could unplug 4 of my plug wires at the
same time without affecting my idle. The cylinders that wernt firing were
every other one, I guess thats why it
idled smoth enough that i couldnt tell before.  I checked compression on
one side of my <

Grant,

  I had the same problem, only half of my cylinders were firing.  I don't
remember  exactly which ones weren't firing, but it turned out to be a
problem with the 2 barrel carb.  My problem happened after some heavy 4
wheeling.  Apparently some dirt got dislodged from somewhere and plugged up
half the carb.  By following the runners on the intake maifold I could tell
which side of the carb wasn't getting any gas to the cylinders.

  A $20 carb rebuild kit fixed things right up.

Doug