Re: Seeking Unbiased Advice

On Wed, 02 Sep 1998 06:54:38 -0700, Joseph M. Shaw, II wrote:

>I have been told theat they are not
>great at highway speeds due to low gearing, and don't know if they had
>higher gears made at that time for them, or if they were only considered
>to be for off-road and military use.  If not, I am not sure what axles
>they had so that gears could be switched out.
>I believe Jerry Whiteridge used to drive them in the service at one time
>or something.  Perhaps he can chime in

Sluggish with no top end is how I would describe a LR on the freeway.
Axles are Sailsburys (no not a Dana ) Alternative gear ratios are
available but I dont know the availability. If you are going to off
road this vehicle then go ahead and live with the freeway manners, few
stock vehicles can beat a stock LR offroad, and once modified with an
increased power plant they are great. I love their simplicity and the
ability to work on them with a cresent wrench and hammer. For those who
know the hammer is for the Lucas electronics.

IF you have further questions ask away.

Jerry Whitteridge
jrwhitt@domain.elided
91 Jeep Wrangler